We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: April 29, 2016
The Time to Be Treated by Oral Surgeons
While oral surgery can seem daunting, be aware that it’s the most common type of surgical procedure in the United States. Discover the many ways that oral surgeons can save your smile.
When Oral Surgeons Are Just What the Dentist Ordered
When it comes to simple dental procedures, your dentist in Peoria is the person to see. But when your simple needs become serious surgical matters, you will need oral surgery to handle these advanced cases. If your dentist in Peoria finds that you need this specialized care, you will be referred to any oral surgeons nearby who can handle your medical needs.
Why You Would Need Oral Surgery
A number of specialized problems can lead your dentist in Peoria to send you to oral surgeons for treatment. Be aware that some of these procedures can be rather costly, but most oral surgeons today offer special financing or payment options to make oral surgery into an affordable dental care solution. Oral surgery is usually required if you experience any of these issues:
- Badly decayed or worn teeth
- Impacted wisdom teeth
- Extracting teeth that have long-curved roots
- Complications from simple tooth extractions
- Major facial or jaw damage from trauma, injury, or accident
- Taking out teeth surrounded by very dense bone
After any oral surgery, you will receive detailed instructions for recovery and follow-up. It’s important to closely follow these directions to help you heal properly. Their instructions typically include the following:
- Don’t do too much talking, eating, or drinking for two hours after the surgery.
- When you start eating again, choose only clear liquids and very soft foods for the first 24 hours after surgery.
- Drink plenty of cold or lukewarm liquids after any bleeding stops.
- Do not brush or rinse your teeth for approximately 12 hours after surgery, and then be careful to avoid the surgical area once you start brushing again.
- Follow your oral surgeon’s directions for any prescribed pain medications.
- Call your oral surgeon or dentist immediately if you experience persistent pain or bleeding.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Peoria, call Maple Shade Dental Group today or make an appointment.
Maple Shade Dental Group offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Peoria. With 3 affiliated practices throughout Peoria, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Maple Shade Dental Group, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Maple Shade Dental Group.