We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: November 24, 2015
Shedding Light on Tooth Discoloration
Have you noticed stains on your teeth, or are you trying to avoid this darkness? Use this handy guide to keep your smile white and bright.
What’s Causing your Stained Teeth?
Are you living with the shame of stains on your teeth? Millions of people face this problem, so they hide their teeth and hate to smile because they feel less than their best. There are many possible causes for the discoloration of teeth. These are the most frequently found:
- Darker drinks like coffee, tea, wine, and cola
- Dark-colored foods like berries, beets, tomato sauce, and soy sauce
- Chips, cracks, and other dental damage
- Trauma to a permanent tooth
- Age, because as tooth enamel naturally thins over time, the darker layer of dentin underneath becomes more visible, producing a darker look for teeth
Preventing the Problem
Now that you know what causes tooth discoloration, see what you can do to avoid the pain of stains. Follow these expert tips for preventing stained teeth:
- Brush and floss your teeth after every meal to prevent stains from building up over time.
- Rinse your mouth with water after enjoying darker foods and beverages.
- Have regular professional dental cleanings to remove any surface stains.
- Get any needed dental procedures, such as root canals, done immediately since long-term dental damage can lead to the discoloration of teeth.
Treating Tooth Discoloration
If you can no longer live with discolored teeth, there are many options available for making your teeth white and bright. Talk to your dentist about the treatment that’s best for your needs. The most recommended options include:
- In-office, professional tooth whitening to remove all stains in a single, short visit.
- At-home whitening products, which aren’t as strong as professional whitening, so they offer less dramatic results and take longer to whiten your smile.
- Whitening toothpastes, which may remove very minor stains, but may leave teeth temporarily sensitive.
- For severe staining that’s resistant to bleaching, crowns or veneers can be applied to completely cover signs of stains.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Peoria, call Maple Shade Dental Group today or make an appointment.
Maple Shade Dental Group offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Peoria. With 3 affiliated practices throughout Peoria, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Maple Shade Dental Group, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Maple Shade Dental Group.