We are open - safety is our top priority!
Healthy Teeth—You Only Get One Smile—Protect It for a Lifetime
You may get two sets of teeth during your life, but you truly only ever get one smile. And that smile is comprised of not only your pearly whites, but also your gums and the bones that support the mouth. You need to take control of your oral health and ensure that your smile stays sparkling and gorgeous for a lifetime.
While we all know that healthy teeth require routine dental care and trips to an affordable dentist twice a year, many people do not realize that many healthy lifestyle habits that prevent disease throughout the body can also improve your oral health.
While a proper dental care regimen includes thorough brushing and flossing every day, family dentistry experts offer these additional five tips:
1. Consume a nutritious diet. Some foods contribute to tooth decay and gum disease, while others can prevent both conditions. Cheese, fresh fruits, and raw vegetables can contribute not only vital vitamins and minerals, but also increase saliva production to ward off oral bacteria. Vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin D and calcium can help to keep teeth healthy and strong.
2. Avoid sugar and starches. Sugary and starchy foods that can harm teeth and gums include sticky candies, sugar-filled desserts, and starch-laden breads and vegetables. Sugar molecules merge with the bacteria on your teeth to form acids that can lead to tooth erosion.
3. Drink lots of water. Drinking plenty of water can help to rinse away debris and bacteria. Fluoridated water can help to remineralize teeth and protect them from decay. Drink tap water instead of bottled water for the added fluoride benefits.
4. Exercise regularly. Exercise raises HDL (good cholesterol) levels, which help fight inflammation and other markers of disease. Regular resistance training increases bone density and strength—even after bone growth and development has ceased—and your teeth and jawbone can reap the benefits as well.
5. Get quality sleep. Most adult needs 7 to 8 hours to maximize health benefits, so make sure you get plenty of sleep every night. Poor-quality sleep or not getting enough sleep can lead to inflammation throughout the body, and is a top contributor to gum disease, heart disease, and diabetes.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Peoria, call Maple Shade Dental Group today or make an appointment.
Maple Shade Dental Group offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Peoria. With 3 affiliated practices throughout Peoria, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Maple Shade Dental Group, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Maple Shade Dental Group.