We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: December 31, 2013
Cause and Effect – Diagnosing and Treating Sensitive Teeth
If breathing the cold winter air sends a shock wave of pain through your mouth, or eating candy causes discomfort instead of pleasure, you may be suffering from the common problem of tooth sensitivity. The best way to deal with ongoing or unexplained tooth sensitivity is to find a qualified, affordable dentist in Peoria and receive regular dental care, but there are ways you can treat mild symptoms yourself. Here are some of the most common causes of sensitive teeth and their treatment options.
What Causes Sensitive Teeth?
- Tooth decay is a leading cause of tooth sensitivity to cold and sweet foods. Your dentist in Peoria can treat sensitive teeth with fillings, root canal treatments, or extractions.
- Worn, broken, or cracked teeth also lead to sensitive teeth due to the exposure of delicate nerves. Restoration through fillings, root canals, and crowns is often possible.
- Sometimes dental care habits are to blame. Using a medium or firm toothbrush and brushing too vigorously can damage gum tissue and tooth enamel. Desensitizing toothpaste may resolve mild sensitivity. In severe cases, gum surgery or application of a dental sealer may be necessary.
- Acidic foods and drinks like citrus fruits and sodas can dissolve tooth enamel. Eliminating acidic foods and using desensitizing toothpaste usually helps.
- An uneven bite places undue pressure on certain teeth, and this can also cause sensitivity. Your family dentistry expert can correct the problem easily by adjusting the bite.
- Sometimes medical issues not related to the teeth can cause sensitivity. These include sinus infections, muscular facial or neck pain, or temporomandibular joint syndrome. Eating disorders and gastric reflux can also lead to sensitive teeth.
Prevention is the Best Cure for Sensitive Teeth
Preventing tooth sensitivity is easier than treating it, so if your symptoms are mild, take action immediately to address any contributing issues. If your dentist in Peoria corrects the cause early, you may be able to avoid expensive dental care costs in the future.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Peoria, call Maple Shade Dental Group today or make an appointment.
Maple Shade Dental Group offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Peoria. With 3 affiliated practices throughout Peoria, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Maple Shade Dental Group, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Maple Shade Dental Group.